Absences, Tardies and Release of Children
The importance of regular attendance cannot be overemphasized. In addition to the obvious learning benefits to students, regular attendance is required by law. Please contact the office immediately if your child is absent from school. It is important that you provide your child’s name and teacher, reason for absence, and length of time of absence. Excused absences are those resulting from illness, medical reasons, bereavement, and religious observances. Unexcused or unverified absences are those not approved under state guidelines and will result in a referral to our District Attendance Coordinator and/or a referral to the School Attendance Review Board.
Prompt arrival is also required. Tardy arrivals cause a disruption to learning in the classroom and it is difficult for students to start their day without hearing all of the information given by the teacher. Excused tardies are allowed only for medical appointments. Please provide the office with a note concerning these issues. If your child is late to school, they must obtain a tardy slip in the office before going to class.
Students cannot be released during the last 15 minutes of class and must provide verification of all appointments.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Ed. Code 48260 - Any pupil subject to full-time education who is absent from school without valid excuse three full days or tardy or absent in excess of 30 minutes on each of three days in one school year is truant and shall be reported to the District Attendance Coordinator. Taking family vacations while school is in session is considered an unjustified absence.
- While students are highly discouraged from missing school for reasons other than illness, family emergencies sometimes necessitate an extended absence. Students must contract to do work during the period of the absence. Pre-Informed Independent Study Contracts must meet strict California State guidelines in order to result in excused absences.
- Short term Independent Study (IS) needs to be a minimum of 5 days and a maximum of 10 days.
- Written request must be made at least two weeks in advance. Parent is responsible for requesting the contract in person at the school site.Contracts will not be approved the first and the last week of each semester. All finals must be taken at the school site.
RELEASE OF STUDENTS
Release of Students from School (Board Policy #5144)
The schools have a moral as well as a legal obligation toward the welfare of the children entrusted to our custody. In order to help in fulfilling that obligation, the following regulations are to be observed in all schools. Please review the following section CAREFULLY!
- Children may be released from school during school hours only through the authority of, and with the permission granted by the building principal. No adult, including parents, may pick up a child directly from a classroom without prior authorization from the principal or the designee. THIS IS CRITICAL: NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Children to be released from school will be summoned to the office and will be released from there.
- If for any reason the principal feels that a question of child custody may be involved, a record of the release should be put in the student’s cumulative folder.
- No employee has the authority to send a child off the school grounds for an errand or other activity. Similarly, children are not to leave school grounds during the school day. Notify the school immediately if a student cannot be located.
- No adults are to be on school premises during school hours without authorization from the school principal. Any unauthorized adults or other non-school persons encountered on the school grounds should be told courteously but firmly to report to the principal. Violations and/or refusal are to be reported immediately.
- All volunteers/visitors are given a “Volunteer”/”Visitor” badge from the office indicating that they are authorized to be on campus.
- Students cannot be released during the last 15 minutes of class and must provide verification of all appointments.
Thank you for your cooperation